Minard & Associates Insurance Agency was formed in 1982 in Phoenix, AZ. From the beginning, the firm specialized in surety bonding and insurance for the construction industry. In November 1989, Steve Minard merged with Wink Ames, his primary competitor, to form Minard-Ames Insurance Group.
In 2007, after interviewing 30 brokers, Minard-Ames Insurance Services management concluded that INSURICA best shared its business philosophy, corporate culture and core values. In January 2008, MAIS joined the INSURICA Insurance Management Network, bringing depth of resources, other areas of specialization and additional market clout.
Areas of Specialization
In addition to offering general insurance, Minard-Ames has unrivalled expertise in construction and its ancillary construction industries such as equipment dealers, materials handlers, real estate developers and CPA firms and law firms specializing in the field. Recently Minard-Ames has also gained additional specialization in the private school sector.
What Makes Us Unique
It is our daily focus on construction and our quarter century of specialization in this category that distinguishes Minard-Ames. Our knowledge base in that field means that we can thoroughly address all issues internally before sending to a bonding company, potentially saving clients both time and money.
We are proud that we are recognized for our expertise and offer several programs that further substantiate our proficiency. We are the only agency offering a bonding seminar that brings together and is co-hosted by Minard-Ames, the Construction Trade Association and a representative group of well-known contractors from the area.
In addition, for over 30 years, Wink Ames has been on the faculty of the Arizona State University Del E. Webb School of Construction. Continuing this tradition and passing on their know-how, Minard-Ames’ owners Blake Johnson and Mike Specht conduct various workshops on bonds, insurance and construction accounting. In addition, Steve Minard is recognized as a leader and expert in legislative issues, with both the construction industry in particular and the insurance category in general.
• Ranked the #1 Insurance Broker in Arizona for 5 years and in the top 5 since 1999
• Named Best Practices Agency since 2001 – until 2008, the only broker in Arizona with this honor
• One AFSB Designation holder received the Distinguished Graduate Award
• 28 colleagues – over 400 combined years in the insurance business
• Licensed in 15 states
• Charter Property Casualty Underwriter – 2 (CPCU)
• Certified Insurance Counselor – 5 (CIC)
• Certified Insurance Service Insurance Representative – 4 (CISR)
• Certified Workers Compensation Advisor – 1 (CWCA) – only one in Arizona
• Associate in Fidelity & Surety Bonding – 3 (AFSB)
• Associate Risk Manager – 2 (ARM)
• Construction Risk Insurance Specialist – 4 (CRIS)
• Construction Financial Management Association (CFMA)
• National Association of Surety Bond Producers (NASBP) Surety Association
• American Subcontractors Association of Arizona (ASA)
• Arizona Builders Alliance (ABA)
• Associated General Contractors of America (AGC)
• Arizona Chapter Associated General Contractors of America (AzAGC)
• Associated Minority Contractors of America (AMCA)
• National Utility Contractors Association (NUCA)
• Air Conditioning Contractors of America – Arizona (ACCA-AZ)
• Alliance for Construction Excellence (ACE)
• Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of AZ – IIAB-AZ and Greater Phoenix
• Construction Industry Alliance of Arizona