Keeping Your Home Safe During Vacation
Summer is the perfect time to pack your suitcase and book your family a vacation. Before you head out for your trip, you’ll want to make sure your home is protected. Several risks could affect your home while you’re away—including fires, theft, and flooding. INSURICA is here to help you keep your property safe and secure. Here are a few things homeowners should keep in mind before going on vacation:
- Home burglaries happen more often during the summer months. Don’t be an easy target for thieves. Be sure to lock all windows and doors. Have someone you trust to keep an eye on your home throughout your trip.
- Be sure to unplug and put away small appliances and electronic devices. This could also help you save on energy costs when you return from your trip.
- Paper pileup can be an obvious sign of an unoccupied home. Plan to suspend your newspaper subscriptions and mail. Your local post office can hold your mail for up to 30 days while you’re away. To do this online, visit the U.S. Postal Service’s visit the U.S. Postal Service’s website.
- Don’t neglect your yard. Arrange to have your lawn care needs squared away while you’re away.
- Remove any house keys you keep outside your home, even if you think they’re in a safe place.
- Set timers on inside lights. Install a motion-activated sensor on outdoor floodlights.
- Consider turning off your home’s water. This could reduce any stress or worry about potential flooding due to plumbing issues.
- Posting photos or videos social media while on your trip should be avoided. Share your vacation experience with others when you return home.
Taking a vacation should be fun and relaxing. Worrying about your home while away can add unnecessary stress during your trip. Increasing the security of your home can make all the difference when it comes to preventing property crime or damage to your home. However, accidents can still occur.
It’s important to secure adequate insurance coverage to make sure you will be protected if a loss occurs. Be sure to consult INSURICA to confirm that your homeowners insurance policy meets your personalized needs.
This flyer is for informational purposes only and is not intended as professional advice. © 2018, 2020 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.