Get Your Home Winter Ready
Fall signals cooler weather, and the pleasant temperatures let you comfortably do necessary home maintenance before winter arrives. By taking the time to maintain your home each season, you can keep common household problems at bay. INSURICA is here to help you prepare your home for fall and winter with these maintenance tasks:
Clean Gutters and Downspouts
- Clear leaves and debris from gutters and downspouts to prevent ﬂooding and freezing around your foundation.
Check Your Roof for Signs of Damage
- Carefully check your roof for signs of leaks or other damage. Fall is a good time to hire a professional to perform a roof inspection.
Check Furnace Filters
- Inspect your furnace and replace the furnace ﬁlters.
Test Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Test all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. It’s best to replace batteries annually. Replacing smoke detector batteries is critical to their usefulness. A great way to remember to change your smoke detectors’ batteries is to do so twice a year, during daylight saving time. When you set your clocks forward or back an hour, also change your smoke detectors’ batteries to keep your home and your family safe. Daylight savings time ends in November.
Prep Your Lawn
- Rake leaves, fertilize
- and aerate your lawn, so you are prepared when spring arrives.
- Remove hoses from spigots. Drain and store them indoors, ensuring they are coiled and ﬂat.
Stock Up on Wood or Pellets
- If you have a ﬁreplace or woodstove, it’s a good idea to stock up on wood or pellets during the fall months before winter hits.
Swap Window Screens for Storm Windows
- Remove screens and install storm windows. Clean and repair screens before storing them in the basement or garage.
Clean Windows and Doors
- Clean windows and any sliding door tracks to ensure they operate smoothly all year long.
Clean Your Carpets
- Fall is an ideal time to clean your carpets. It’s the perfect time to open the windows to allow for ventilation, which should speed the drying process. Allow a professional to handle the bulky cleaning equipment if you are not comfortable operating a carpet cleaning machine.
For additional home maintenance guidance and homeowners insurance solutions, contact INSURICA today.
This flyer is for informational purposes only and is not intended as professional advice. © 2008, 2013, 2016, 2021 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.